Philippines, 21 May 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


GAB hails world title fights here


PhilBoxing.com



Pedro Taduran (L) and Rene Cuarto (R).

Since the pandemic breakout last year, the Philippines staged only four boxing promotions, two in Mandaue with Omega and two in General Santos City with Sanman. But next month, there will be two all-Filipino world title fights in the country, a positive development in the battle against COVID-19. Vic Saludar takes on unbeaten Robert Paradero for the vacant WBA minimumweight crown in a venue still to be determined on Feb. 20 while IBF minimumweight titlist Pedro Taduran stakes his throne against Rene Mark Cuarto in General Santos City on Feb. 27. Visiting fighters are required to undergo COVID-19 tests and a 14-day quarantine before cleared to engage.

“We are honored and very happy that there will be two world championship fights coming very soon,” said GAB chairman Baham Mitra. “However, this is a world-wide trend for fights happening within the country to avoid international travel and possible spread of the virus. We will do everything to assist but will not compromise the safety of the boxers as one infection can have an effect on all sports.” Mitra has played an instrumental role in restarting pro sports through his participation in the IATF-sanctioned Joint Administrative Order team.

Promoter Bebot Elorde said yesterday the venue for the Saludar-Paradero bout will be the Elorde Sports Center in Sucat or Dino Olivetti’s gym in Binan or an arena in Bulacan. If Paranaque is elevated from GCQ to MGCQ, Elorde said the venue will be the Elorde Sports Center. At the moment, Paradero is training in Valencia, Bukidnon and Saludar in Polomolok, South Cotabato. “Mga two weeks before the fight, dapat nasa Manila na sila,” said Elorde. “Ang flight booking nila ay Feb. 4.” Elorde has prepared separate quarters in his Sta. Rita, Sucat, compound to quarantine the fighters. Mitra said if Metro Manila is placed under MGCQ by Feb. 1, the fight may be held in Sucat. Paradero’s manager is Dr. Glorio Sajulga while Saludar is with Kenneth Rontal’s stable.

Because of the unpredictable conditions spawned by the pandemic, the fight has been postponed from Sept. 26 to Dec. 5 to Jan. 30. But it looks like the bout is finally a go on Feb. 20. “Naintindihan naman ng WBA ang dahilan for postponing,” said Elorde. “Grateful kami sa WBA for sanctioning the title fight. Magandang laban ito. Si Paradero, fighter, bilib sa sarili at sugod ng sugod. Si Saludar, beterano, former world champion, counterpuncher.” Saludar, 30, is rated No. 4 and Paradero, 24, No. 5 by the WBA. The throne was vacated by Thailand’s Knockout CP Freshmart. The title fight was approved by WBA championship committee chairman Carlos Chavez in president Gilberto Jesus Mendoza’s behalf.

Taduran is now training in La Union and will travel to General Santos to face Cuarto. It will be Taduran’s second title defense since halting countryman Samuel Salva to win the vacant crown in September 2019. In his first defense last February, he was held to a majority technical draw by Mexico’s Daniel Valladares in Nueva Leon. Cuarto is rated No. 3 by the IBF and is the highest-ranked contender since the No. 1 and No. 2 slots are vacant. The IBF’s 105-pound division is loaded with Filipinos as Melvin Jerusalem is No. 4, Salva No. 5, Lito Dante No. 6 and Mark John Rementizo No. 8.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • JONES VS. GUALTIERI FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Round 12 with Mauricio Sulaiman: From Madrid to Johannesburg – The Legacy of the WBC in South Africa
    By Mauricio Sulaimán, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • TYSON VS. MAYWEATHER EXHIBITION IS ON— TYSON BROKEN HAND PUSHES EVENT FROM SPRING TO FALL OF 2026
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Three Lions Promotions Building pro boxing back to Glory days in Metro Vancouver
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Jenn Perella shines, Bobby Laing stops Russ Kimber in 1st round
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Gustavo Trujillo Looks to Continue his Rise in the Heavyweight Division
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Filipino Francisco "Django" Bustamante rules 2026 Buffalo’s Pro Classic 1 Ball One Pocket Division
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Secures Eight More Victories on Day Three of 2026 Copa America
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • THE PAST WEEK IN ACTION 19 MAY 2026: Davis Outpoints Albright; Kuse Dethrones Jerusalem; Donovan Defeats Chukhadzhian; Hrgovic Stops Allen
    By Eric Armit, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Knicks Rally from 22 Points Down to Beat Cavs 115-104 in OT
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • Filipino grabs second place in the National Canada Chess Challenge 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • Spotlight on Mexico City: boxers speak ahead of IBA Pro 18
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Wembanyama Outshines MVP Gilgeous-Alexander as Spurs Beat Thunder 122-115 in Double Overtime Thriller
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 0 MUST GO: SELDON JR. vs. POPPER — JUNE 13 AT THE TROP
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • CARL “THE COBRA” FROCH REUNITES WITH ANDRE WARD ON ART OF WARD FOR FIRST IN-DEPTH SIT-DOWN SINCE THEIR LEGENDARY SUPER SIX FINAL
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • BOXING LEGEND DARREN BARKER ANNOUNCES 'THE LONGEST ROUND' – A WORLD-FIRST ENDURANCE CHALLENGE FOR MEN'S MENTAL HEALTH
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • IBA stands ready to organise Jon Jones professional boxing fight in Russia
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Earns Eight More Wins on Day Two at 2026 Copa America
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • QC ends PCAP Season 6 All-Filipino conference campaign
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • It’s in the blood
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • “The fans will be the true winners” – Angel Ayala ready for IBA PRO 18 in Mexico City
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Rematch option for Melvin
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • World-class stablemates John ‘Scrappy’ Ramirez & Darius ‘DFG’ Fulghum fighting on same card Friday night in San Jose
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Ignacio Defeats Malayan to Claim Title and USD 10,000 Prize
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Dominates Day One of 2026 Copa America with 11-0 Record
    , Tue, 19 May 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.