Philippines, 22 May 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


Punching in Puebla: Navarrete-Horta and Ancajas-Gonzalez World Championship Doubleheader LIVE on ESPN+ December 7

PhilBoxing.com





Live on ESPN+ beginning at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT

PUEBLA, Mexico (Nov. 14, 2019) — Boxing’s busiest world champion, WBO junior featherweight king Emanuel “Vaquero” Navarrete, will make his fourth world title defense in less than seven months against Francisco “Panchito” Horta Saturday, Dec. 7 at Auditorio GNP Seguros in Puebla, Mexico.

Navarrete, from Mexico City, will fight in his home country for the first time since before he won the world title from Isaac “Royal Storm” Dogboe at Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden last December.

In the co-feature, Jerwin “Pretty Boy” Ancajas will make the eighth defense of his IBF junior bantamweight world title against Chilean veteran Miguel “Aguja” Gonzalez. The opening bout will showcase three-time world title challenger Miguel Marriaga against Alfredo Mejia Vargas in an eight-round featherweight bout.

Promoted by Top Rank, in association with Zanfer Promotions, Navarrete-Horta, Ancajas-Gonzalez and Marriaga-Vargas will stream live on ESPN+, the leading multi-sport streaming service, beginning at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT.

“Emanuel Navarrete is one of Mexico’s great young champions, and he’s only getting started,” said Top Rank chairman Bob Arum. “At 24 years of age, he is wise beyond his years and hungry to challenge himself against the very best. He’ll have defended his belt four times in 2019, and 2020 is shaping up to be another spectacular year for ‘Vaquero.’”

“I am very excited to close the year by defending my world title in my beloved Mexico,” Navarrete said. “This will be another dream that will be fulfilled, and I assure you another exciting fight. I always go for the knockout. I think it is best to win by knockout, and on Dec.7, the fans in Puebla will see another action-packed fight from 'El Vaquero.'”

“On Dec. 7, the fans will get to know who I am. This will be guaranteed war because we are both Mexican warriors,” Horta said. “This is a golden opportunity. Definitely a dream that will come true sooner than expected. I will dispute the world title against the best 122-pounder in the world, Emanuel Navarrete. I will win the title at any cost.”

Navarrete (29-1, 25 KOs) made his United States debut last December against Dogboe, but in 2019, he has crisscrossed the western part of the country knocking out top opposition. He repeated the deed in May against Dogboe in Tucson, Ariz., scoring a 12th-round stoppage. In August, headlining the inaugural fight card at Banc of California Stadium in Log Angeles, he stopped the then-unbeaten Francisco De Vaca in three scintillating rounds. Four weeks later, he returned on the Tyson Fury-Otto Wallin card in Las Vegas and knocked out Filipino contender Juan Miguel Elorde in four. The upset-minded Horta (20-3-1, 10 KOs), from Campeche, Mexico, is unbeaten in 13 fights dating back to 2014.

Ancajas (31-1-2, 21 KOs), one of boxing’s longest-reigning world champions, was scheduled to fight Jonathan Rodriguez Nov. 2 in Carson, Calif., but Rodriguez had to withdraw on Thursday of fight week due to visa issues. Ancajas, the Filipino star who won his world title in September 2016, remained in America to prepare for Gonzalez. Ancajas last fought May 4 in Stockton, Calif., knocking out Japanese challenger Ryuichi Funai in six rounds. This will be Ancajas’ first professional bout in Mexico. Gonzalez (31-2, 8 KOs), from Santiago, Chile, has fought only once outside of his home country. He has won two in a row since dropping a WBA world title eliminator earlier this year to Australian standout Andrew Moloney.

“I am ready to defend my world title in front of the great Mexican fans,” Ancajas said. “Since my fight against Rodriguez was canceled, I’ve stayed in America to train, and I am in fantastic shape. Gonzalez is a worthy challenger and has beaten good opposition to earn this title shot.”

“This is the opportunity I’ve been waiting for,” Gonzalez said. “Ancajas is a great champion, but this is my time.”

Use the hashtags #NavarreteHorta and #AncajasGonzalez to join the conversation on social media.

For more information, visit www.toprank.com, www.espn.com/boxing; Facebook: facebook.com/trboxing; Twitter: twitter.com/trboxing.




Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Bohat fights for PBF Silver bantamweight crown
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • AGM Bernardino to hold chess simul in San Manuel, Tarlac
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • JONES VS. GUALTIERI FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Round 12 with Mauricio Sulaiman: From Madrid to Johannesburg – The Legacy of the WBC in South Africa
    By Mauricio Sulaimán, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • TYSON VS. MAYWEATHER EXHIBITION IS ON— TYSON BROKEN HAND PUSHES EVENT FROM SPRING TO FALL OF 2026
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Three Lions Promotions Building pro boxing back to Glory days in Metro Vancouver
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Jenn Perella shines, Bobby Laing stops Russ Kimber in 1st round
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Gustavo Trujillo Looks to Continue his Rise in the Heavyweight Division
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • Filipino Francisco "Django" Bustamante rules 2026 Buffalo’s Pro Classic 1 Ball One Pocket Division
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Secures Eight More Victories on Day Three of 2026 Copa America
    , Thu, 21 May 2026
  • THE PAST WEEK IN ACTION 19 MAY 2026: Davis Outpoints Albright; Kuse Dethrones Jerusalem; Donovan Defeats Chukhadzhian; Hrgovic Stops Allen
    By Eric Armit, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Knicks Rally from 22 Points Down to Beat Cavs 115-104 in OT
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • Filipino grabs second place in the National Canada Chess Challenge 2026
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • Spotlight on Mexico City: boxers speak ahead of IBA Pro 18
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 2026 NBA Playoffs: Wembanyama Outshines MVP Gilgeous-Alexander as Spurs Beat Thunder 122-115 in Double Overtime Thriller
    By Reylan Loberternos, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • 0 MUST GO: SELDON JR. vs. POPPER — JUNE 13 AT THE TROP
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • CARL “THE COBRA” FROCH REUNITES WITH ANDRE WARD ON ART OF WARD FOR FIRST IN-DEPTH SIT-DOWN SINCE THEIR LEGENDARY SUPER SIX FINAL
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • BOXING LEGEND DARREN BARKER ANNOUNCES 'THE LONGEST ROUND' – A WORLD-FIRST ENDURANCE CHALLENGE FOR MEN'S MENTAL HEALTH
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • IBA stands ready to organise Jon Jones professional boxing fight in Russia
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • USA Boxing Elite High Performance Squad Earns Eight More Wins on Day Two at 2026 Copa America
    , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • QC ends PCAP Season 6 All-Filipino conference campaign
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 20 May 2026
  • It’s in the blood
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • “The fans will be the true winners” – Angel Ayala ready for IBA PRO 18 in Mexico City
    , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • Rematch option for Melvin
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 19 May 2026
  • World-class stablemates John ‘Scrappy’ Ramirez & Darius ‘DFG’ Fulghum fighting on same card Friday night in San Jose
    , Tue, 19 May 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.