MMA LEGEND URIJAH FABER JOINS UFC FIGHT NIGHT SINGAPORE: COWBOY VS EDWARDS
Mon, 11 Jun 2018
UFC® FIGHT NIGHT SINGAPORE: COWBOY VS EDWARDS presented by AirAsia, returns to Singapore on Saturday, June 23, at the Singapore Indoor Stadium. As part of Fight Week activities, UFC Hall of Famer Urijah Faber will be in Singapore adding to the excitement of an already highly anticipated live event.
Faber will be involved in community engagement programmes, before cornering up and coming Chinese athlete Song Yadong who will be facing Felipe ‘Sertanejo’ Arantes in a featherweight bout, outlining Faber’s commitment to helping to grow MMA in the Asia region.
Faber has made a smooth transition from the Octagon to coaching. As founder of leading California-based MMA gym, Team Alpha Male in 2004, his legacy continues to live on as he helps to develop the next generation of UFC athletes. Amongst these are Chad Mendes, Paige Van Zant and former Bantamweight Champion Cody Garbrandt. Team Alpha Male has also groomed many Asian athletes including Song and Teruto Ishihara who is also featured on the UFC Fight Night Singapore card, this coming June 23rd at Singapore Indoor Stadium.
Other bouts on the card include the highly anticipated welterweight clash between No. 11-ranked Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone against No. 14-ranked rising British star Leon ‘Rocky’ Edwards. A win from Cowboy will enter him into the record books as he becomes UFC’s most successful athlete in the Octagon® with the most wins. Fans can also look forward to the co-main event featuring No. 8-ranked knockout-ace Ovince Saint Preux’s light heavyweight showdown against Australian star Tyson Pedro.
Chinese MMA athlete Li ‘Leech’ Jingliang will look to make it 2 wins out of 2 in Singapore as he takes on Japanese Judo specialist, Daichi Abe. Southeast Asia will also be strongly represented by Filipino stars Rolando ‘Incredible’ Dy, who takes on kiwi Shane ‘Sugar’ Young while Jenel Lausa takes on Ulka Sasaki from Japan.
Updated fight card can be found here:
• No. 11-ranked Donald 'Cowboy' Cerrone (33-10-0, fighting out of Albuquerque, New Mexico) will face No. 14 ranked rising British star, Leon 'Rocky' Edwards (14-3, fighting out of Birmingham, England) in the Welterweight headliner
• No. 8-ranked knockout-ace Ovince Saint Preux (22-11, fighting out of Knoxville, Tennessee, USA) will face rising Australian star Tyson Pedro (7-1, fighting out of Sydney, Australia) in a light heavyweight showdown
• Powerful Japanese striker Shinsho Anzai (10-2, fighting out of Tokyo, Japan) will face “The Celtic Kid” Jake Matthews (13-3, fighting out of Epping, Victoria, Australia) who is looking to build on his 2-fight winning streak in the welterweight division
• No. 9-ranked women’s flyweight Jessica Rose Clark (8-4, fighting out of Innisfail, Australia) is looking to start her UFC career with three wins in a row as she faces no. 10-ranked Jessica Eye (12-6, fighting out of Cleveland, Ohio, USA)
• In a flyweight bout, Jenel Lausa (7-4, fighting out of Manila, Philippines) faces Ashkan Mokhtarian (13-3, fighting out of Wentworthville, Sydney, Australia), with each athlete hungry for a dominant win
• Submission specialist Matt Schnell (11-4, fighting out of Shreveport, Louisiana, USA) takes on 20-year-old undefeated prospect Naoki Inoue (11-0, fighting out of Toyohashi, Japan) in a flyweight match-up
• Chinese striker Yan Xiaonan (8-1, fighting out of Beijing, China) is looking to score her second consecutive win in the Octagon® against strawweight contender Viviane "Sucuri" Pereira De Oliveira (13-1-0, fighting out of Fortaleza, Ceatra Brazil)
• China’s biggest MMA star and welterweight prospect Li “Leech” Jingliang (14-5, fighting out of Beijing, China) will return to Singapore to face Japan’s Judo specialist, Daichi Abe (6-1, fighting out of Tokyo, Japan)
• Up and coming Chinese prospect Song Yadong (10-3-0, 2NC, fighting out of Heilongjiang, China) will make his bantamweight debut in a showdown against Felipe ‘Sertanejo’ Arantes (18-9-1, 2NC, fighting out of Sao Paulo, Brazil)
• Rapid striker Song ‘The Assassin’ Kenan (13-4-0, fighting out of Tangshan, Hebei, China) will look to secure his second consecutive welterweight win against UFC debutant and The Ultimate Fighter Latin America contender Héctor Aldana (4-1, fighting out of Mexico) in the Octagon®
• Dynamic athlete Teruto ‘Yashabo’ Ishihara (11-5-2, fighting out of Osaka, Japan) will continue his bantamweight pursuit in a bout against UFC debutant and bright Russian prospect, Petr ‘No Mercy’ Yan (8-1, fighting out of Omsk, Russia).
• Korean striker Ji 'Fire Fist' Yeon-Kim (7-1-2, fighting out of Incheon, South Korea) will face off against Melinda Fabian (4-3-2, fighting out of Budapest, Hungary) in a women's flyweight showdown
For the latest card information or current fight news, please visit UFC.com. Bouts are subject to change.
Tickets to a thrilling night of sporting action at UFC® FIGHT NIGHT SINGAPORE: COWBOY VS EDWARDS presented by AirAsia are pried at S$378, S$268, S$198, S$148, S$98, S$68 and S$48 (prices do not include booking fee). Tickets are now available for purchase online at www.sportshubtix.sg, the Singapore Indoor Stadium Box Office, Sports Hub Tix Outlets, all SingPost locations, and by calling Sports Hub Tix Hotline at +65 3158 7888.
Additionally, fans can opt for limited UFC VIP Experience packages ranging from $888 for Super VIP to S$2,888 for Owners VVIP, with the very best Octagon-side floor seats. All packages include exclusive VIP hospitality in the VIP Lounge, where fans have access to photo opportunities with UFC guest fighters and the Championship Belt. Select packages include a private ‘Inside the Octagon’ Tour and access to the Official. After-Party.
Follow us on Facebook (UFC Asia), Twitter and Instagram (@ufc), and use our official hashtag: #UFCSINGAPORE
Click here to view a list of other articles written by .
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
Please send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org