Philippines, 21 Feb 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


RICKY VARGAS SADDENED OVER HIS DISQUALIFICATION FROM RUNNING FOR POC PRESIDENT AGAINST COJUANGCO


PhilBoxing.com




The president of the Amateur Boxing Alliance of the Philippines Ricky Vargas has been saddened by his disqualification from running for president of the Philippine Olympic Committee against Jose "Peping" Cojuangco who is seeking an unprecedented fourth term.

The POC-Comelec committee headed by Frank Elizalde and composed of Bro. Bernie Oca of De La Salle University and congressman Conrado Estrella Jr, chairman of the House of Representatives Committe on Youth and Sports, disqualified Vargas and Bembol Tolentino of the Philippine Cycling Association who was seeking the chairmanship, on the claim that they had not attended various POC general assembly meetings which they alleged was a rule of the POC covering any officer seeking either the POC presidency or he chairmanship.

However, incumbent POC vice president Joey Romasanta, a close confidant of Cojuangco, told the Manila Standard on Tuesday that he did not wish to comment on the eligibility of Vargas which had been previously questioned by officials identified with Cojuangco because it would incur the ire of chairman Elizalde.

However, he told us he "didn?t think that there is a rule requiring a candidate to attend the various general assembly meetings in order to be eligible to run for the position of POC president."

Romasanta clarified he ?really couldn?t comment much because the Comelec has taken over jurisdiction? but that in his opinion ?it?s the propriety of having been indifferent all of these times and not even offering any advice or criticism? that was being questioned. However, Vargas said he had sent a representative to all the meetings.

In an overseas telephone conversation with The Standard, Vargas who is among the businessmen in Tokyo on the state visit of President Rody Duterte along with Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas president Manny Pangilinan, the eminent businessman-sportsman who supports eight different sports, regretted that Elizalde "who has such a prominent name can't comprehend the soundness of our position" which is basically to help Philippine sports with the "silent majority telling us, it's about time we do something" to correct the present disastrous situation in Philippine sports as highlighted by the disastrous showing in the Southeast Asian Games.

Vargas said he was "still hoping for some sense of reason" even as he revealed that Mr. Pangilinan was "upset" with the developments and had "given him the courage" to continue the fight but that he personally "doesnt want to go to court because I don't want the country to suffer because "the IOC may say it's a sign of government interference."

Romasanta believes that the fight for the POC presidency may evolve into a corporate battle claiming that ?they have the resources and can hire high-priced lawyers.? Eminent businessman ? sportsman Manny Pngilinan, president of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas who supports eight different sports is supporting the candidacy of Vargas.

Former PBA Commissioner Atty. Chito Salud, the spokesman of Vargas, said he would "definitely question his (Vargas') disqualification. He believes he has all the qualifications to run for POC president and none of the disqualifications."

Salud said "it is unfortunate the disqualification clearly disregards the principle of fair play and prejudices not just the rights of ABAP and Mr. Vargas but the interest and welfare of Philippine sports as well."

Salud indicated the lawyers are "preparing the remedies available to Mr. Vargas and will determine whether it is pointless or futile to ask the election committee and the POC executive board for a reconsideration of the disqualification."


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Ronnie Nathanielsz.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • WOOD-WARRINGTON II OFFICIAL WEIGH-IN RESULTS AND FIGHT NIGHT RUNNING ORDER CONFIRMED FOR SOLD-OUT REMATCH IN NOTTINGHAM
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • "Rompete la Madre" documentary is now in the Mexican theaters
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • A Massive Weekend Ahead for Renowned Trainer Bob Santos
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • Barrios vs Garcia: Where Art Thou Ryan Garcia?
    By Chris Carlson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Pacman bout details revealed
    By Joaquin Henson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • IIEE to defend Billiard crown in PTC World 2026, World Champ Magpantay is PSA Awardee
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Wood-Warrington II Press Conference Quotes: Everything that Was Said Ahead of Saturday's Sold-Out Rematch in Nottingham
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Manny Pacquiao Promotions Announces Opponents for Rising Stars Jimuel Pacquiao Jr. and Curmel Moton on Feb. 28 at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Rising Star Promotions Returns to Prudential Center April 10 LIVE ON PROBOX TV
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Sante Barley Trilogy Leg 1 on March 29 in Azuela
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Team Rapid chess tourney goes to Pasay City on March 8 By Marlon Bernardino
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • 3rd Horse Show & competition scheduled on February 21-22
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Robinsons Bacolod Chess Festival set
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Alex Bray Set for WBA Continental Latin American Title Clash February 20 in Orlando
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Ryan ‘The Bruiser’ Rozicki Calls out Jai Opetaia
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • BREAKING NEWS: DAZN AND MATCHROOM BOXING SIGN NEW FIVE-YEAR DEAL
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 75 climbers start trekking to Mt. Apo today
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 4 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Erik Morales Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Dainier Pero Locked In Ahead of WBA Continental USA Title Defense in Orlando
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • A Milestone Birthday: Celebrating Brico Santig's 50 Years of Dedication, and Triumph
    By Carlos Costa, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • PH bet Chezka Centeno finishes 2nd in Florida
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • ARNOLD BARBOZA JR. AND KENNETH SIMS JR. SET FOR HIGH-STAKES CLASH IN CAN’T-MISS MAIN EVENT ON DAZN
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • CALLUM SMITH VS DAVID MORRELL MEGA FIGHT SET FOR APRIL 18 IN LIVERPOOL AS PAT BROWN HEADLINES IN HIS HOMETOWN ON APRIL 3
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • 2026 USA Boxing Youth High Performance Selection Camp Attendees Announced
    , Wed, 18 Feb 2026
  • Rapid chessfest gets underway February 22
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Wed, 18 Feb 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.