Philippines, 29 Nov 2025
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


PORRAS DOWNS SUACASA THRICE TO CAPTURE MINPROBA TITLE


PhilBoxing.com




DAVAO CITY (Sept. 18) ? Glenn ?The Rock? Porras of M?lang knocked down fellow former champion Renante Suacasa of Koronadal City three times to win by a convincing unanimous decision and captured the vacant Mindanao Professional Boxing Association (Minproba) bantamweight title last Saturday night at the municipal gym of Pres. Roxas in North Cotabato.

The 31-year old Porras started slow in the first two rounds while trying to chase Suacasa. In the third round, Porras finally found his momentum as he landed a solid hook on the face of Suacasa.

Porras, a former WBO Asia Pacific Youth bantamweight champion and former Philippine Boxing Federation (PBF) bantamweight champion continued to chase Suacasa in the next round.

In the 5th round, Suacasa suffered a slip after missing a right hook and was later warned by referee Ramil Ovalo for excessive holding. Porras, who patiently waited for the right timing finally cornered Suacasa and he landed a solid body shot on the right for his first knockdown.

Suacasa, however, recovered and was able to stand up before the referee completed his mandatory count. He was saved by the bell.
In the 6th round, Porras started with left-right body shots but also backpedalled to elude an upper cut by Suacasa, who was then hit by a low blow.

In the next round, Suacasa lost his mouthpiece after trading punches with Porras. Suacasa tried to distract Porras? concentration with his ring antics. However, Porras, continued to chase Suacasa and was again hit by another solid body shot for the second knockdown at the corner. Suacasa was again saved by the bell.

In the 8th and final round, Porras resumed his relentless attack on Suacasa, who was trying to clinch and ran away already. But Porras finally caught him again with a solid left on the body for the third knockdown in the dying seconds.

?Malakas yung mga suntok nya. Kulang pa lang siguro siya sa resistensya,? (His punches are strong. Maybe he still only needs more energy) said Suacasa, a former Minproba bantamweight champion.

Porras, on the other hand, admitted that he still needs to gain back his old form.

?Kulang pa dyud ko ug sparring pa. Kailangan ko pa ibalik akong kusog ug speed,? (I still lack sparring. I need to gain back my power and speed), said Porras, who improved his record to 29 wins with 17 knockouts and only four losses.

Porras is now managed by the MB Boxing Promotions owed by Engr. Jilson Basang of Panabo City and Engr. Erwin Maderazo of Singapore.

?It was a good comeback fight for Porras,? said Basang, who is also now based in Singapore.

Porras previously saw action when he fought but lost by a second round knockout for the WBO Latino bantamweight title against Puerto Rican Jose Nieves on December 7, 2012 at the Civic Center in Kissimmee, Florida, USA.

In the main supporting bout, Arnold Garde did not disappoint his hometown crowd as he won the vacant Minproba light flyweight title by a convincing unanimous decision win over Ian Ligutan of Tandag City.

Garde dominated the 8-rounder bout by landing more powerful punches to improve his record to 7-3-2 while Ligutan dropped to 6-5-2.

The ?Bakbakan sa Pres. Roxas? boxing event was presented by the MB Boxing Promotions in commemoration of Pres. Roxas fiesta. It was supported by Mayor Jaime Mahimpit, Barangay Poblacion Pres. Roxas, Barangay Captain John Hervilla, Pepsi Cola, Nature?s Spring, Luky B Pharmacy and Dawn?s Catering.

In the undercard, Joey Antonio won by a split decision over Jessie James Boyles; Holly Quinones scored a unanimous decision against Sonny Basanez; and Rogelio Boyles survived against Arnold Montales by a majority decision.

PHOTO: (right to left) Minproba official Romy Flordeliza, promoter Jilson Basang, new Minproba bantamweight champion Glenn Porras and promoter Erwin Maderazo.


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Lito delos Reyes.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • OFFICIAL WEIGHTS AND QUOTES FROM TODAY’S OFFICIAL WEIGH-INS AND PRESS CONFERENCE FOR MANNY PACQUIAO PROMOTIONS’ HIGHLY ANTICIPATED U.S. DEBUT TOMORROW, SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 29
    , Sat, 29 Nov 2025
  • Tagaytay Hosts 3rd Asian Chess Championship for Disabled 2025
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sat, 29 Nov 2025
  • WEIGHTS FROM PROBOXTV’S ‘THE CONTENDER SERIES’ AT SAVE MART CENTER IN FRESNO, SAT., NOVEMBER 29
    , Sat, 29 Nov 2025
  • BIRMINGHAM WEIGH-IN RESULTS AND FIGHT NIGHT RUNNING ORDER CONFIRMED AS BEN WHITTAKER PREPARES FOR MATCHROOM DEBUT
    , Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • Coach Marvin Somodio: Full of Life and Punch at 42
    By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT, , Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • Boston Ends Detroit's Winning Streak at 12; Celtics Trip Pistons, 117-114 at the Garden
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • 7-Eleven Run 2026 set on Jan. 31-Feb. 1
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 28 Nov 2025
  • Carlos Cañizales Forced to Cancel Flight to Thailand for WBC World Title Defense
    By Carlos Costa, , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • World Boxing Champions Promotions to Present Manny Pacquiao & Freddie Roach with Inaugural “Centurion Awards” During Manny Pacquiao Promotions Event on November 29
    , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • Atif Oberlton Takes on Vaughn Alexander on Saturday, December 6th at The 2300 Arena in Philadelphia
    , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • Iligan tops in PEKAF Mindanao qualifying tourney
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • INTERNATIONAL BOXING HALL OF FAME TO ANNOUNCE CLASS OF 2026 ON THURSDAY, DECEMBER 4th
    , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • World Renowned Boxing Trainer Bob Santos Launches Private Boxing Camp in Las Vegas
    , Thu, 27 Nov 2025
  • Eight Boxers Remain in WBC Grand Prix Finals On December 20
    , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • WBA/WBO Cruiserweight Champion Gilberto ‘Zurdo’ Ramirez Confirms World Title Fight with David Benavidez on Cinco de Mayo in Las Vegas
    , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Petecio in, Paalam out
    By Joaquin Henson, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Takuma Inoue World Champion Again; Beats Nasukawa for Vacant WBC Belt
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • OLYMPIC BOXING 3: 1920 OLYMPIC GAMES AT ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    By Maloney L. Samaco, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Badenas TKO’s Saknosiwi in 10th round
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Las Vegas & California Amateurs Shine in a Powerful Fall Rumble Weekend Followed by a Heartfelt Turkey Drive for Local Families
    , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Santa Run Davao on December 14 at NCCC Mall Victoria Plaza
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Wed, 26 Nov 2025
  • Alec “The Rock” Del Rio Fights for WBC Asia Title Friday in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, , Tue, 25 Nov 2025
  • Eumir, Weljohn put pros on hold
    By Joaquin Henson, , Tue, 25 Nov 2025
  • Toronto Topples Cleveland, 110-99 for 8th Straight Win; Holds on to 2nd in the East
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Tue, 25 Nov 2025
  • PPP Seniors & PWD Fun Run 2025 on Dec. 13 in Talomo
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Tue, 25 Nov 2025




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2025 philboxing.com.