Philippines, 30 Aug 2025
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


WBO President Gives Montiel 48 Hours to Explain Why He Has Not Yet Signed the Montiel-Gorres Fight Contract


PhilBoxing.com


WBO President Francisco "Paco" Valcarcel has ask WBO super flyweight champion Fernando Montiel of Mexico to explain within 48 hours why he has not yet signed the Montiel-Gorres fight contract.

"Favor de clarificar t? posici?n con respecto a este asunto en las prox?mas 48 horas" ("Please clarify you position with respect to this subject in approximately 48 hours"), Valcarcel has told Montiel in a letter sent today from the WBO headquarters in San Juan, Puerto Rico after Valcarcel was notified by matchmaker Sampson Lewkowicz and promoter Sammy Gello-ani of SGG Promotions that Montiel has not yet acted on the fight contract that was sent to him.

Montiel was forced to defend his title against Gorres in the Philippines after the Gorres camp won the purse bidding for the right to promote the fight held on Nov. 27, 2006 in Puerto Rico. "Article 11 of the Regulation of Worldwide Championships of the World Boxing Organization stipulates that once carried out in a bidding, the fight will have to be made 'not before 45 days and not later than 90 days'," Valcarcel has advised Montiel in the letter. The 90-day provision expires on February 25, 2007.

Earlier reports today had it that Montiel was not willing to fight Gorres on Feb. 24 because he had already agreed on a Mar. 4 date which was earlier sent to him. Gello-ani, however, had clarified that the Mar. 4 date was set for the WBO World Cup and got the Montiel-Gorres fight on that date only if the World Cup had pushed thru. Since the World Cup had been postponed to a latter date, the Montiel-Gorres fight had to revert back to its original date of Feb. 24.

Gello-ani said he also favors a Mar. 4 date. "In fact, it is to our advantage if it will be held on Mar. 4 because we have more time for promoting the fight. However, we have to comply with the WBO purse bidding rules. So we cannot make it on Mar. 4," Gello-ani said.

Commenting on the Montiel stance, ALA Boxing Gym chief architect Antonio L. Aleguer said that Montiel is just looking for ways on derailing the fight. "Ever since, Montiel appeared to not want to make this fight happen," Aldeguer said. It will be recalled that in October last year, Golden Boy had offered Montiel to fight Gorres in the U.S. but Montiel had declined the offer saying the prize money was too small. The fight later went into purse bidding which was won by the Gorres camp.



Click here to view a list of other articles written by Dong Secuya.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • Bisutti, Panya Make Weight for UBO World Title in Highland Show on DAZN
    By Carlos Costa, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Turki Alalshikh the most influential boxing leader in United Kingdom
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Bambam will flight ‘clean & disciplined’ against Requito
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Carlos Flowers Ready to Blossom on the World’s Stage at 2025 World Boxing Championships
    , Sat, 30 Aug 2025
  • Traya eyes KO win against Thai tomorrow
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Navarrete's Future in Question as He Resists Rematch with Charly Suarez
    By Teodoro Medina Reynoso, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Davao's Corteza beats Biado, Aranas enters round-of-32 in P2 Million Bata Reyes 10 Ball Open
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Round 12 with Mauricio Sulaimàn: The Growth of Boxing
    By Mauricio Sulaimán, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Toshihiko Era Retains WBF Asia Strap in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Boxlab Promotions Signs Rising Cuban Prospects Ronny Alvarez and Pedro Veitia
    , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Boxing Legend & Hall of Famer Roy Jones Jr. Confirmed for Eighth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Mexican Independence Day Weekend, Saturday September 13, in Las Vegas
    , Fri, 29 Aug 2025
  • Vayson vies for WBA/WBO titles
    By Joaquin Henson, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Mexican "The Rock" Zamora, three-time female world champion with 20 world championship fights, retires
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • “I’M ONLY GETTING BETTER”: CONFIDENT PAT McCORMACK PLOTS HUGE HOMECOMING WIN OVER MIGUEL PARRA TO SPARK WORLD TITLE CHARGE
    , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Heart of a Lion: 'Lucky Boy' Reymark Alicaba Earns Praise Despite Loss by Points in Thailand
    By Carlos Costa, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Dante Kirkman Looks to be the First Fighter to Stop Dylan Carlson
    , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Shawn Darling Inducted into New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame
    , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Arca wins 13th Mindanao Open chessfest
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Carzano rules FIDE-Rated Open Rapid Chess Tournament
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Pythons-Primo wins 5 golds, 3 silvers, 2 bronzes in Kadayawan judo
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 28 Aug 2025
  • Crawford to Be Stripped of WBA Title Once He Climb the Ring to Fight Canelo
    By Dong Secuya, , Wed, 27 Aug 2025
  • Sebastian Juarez Remains Undefeated with Captivating 4th Round TKO Over Louis Hernandez
    , Wed, 27 Aug 2025
  • Jajaira Gonzalez Prepared to Meet the Moment at 2025 World Boxing Championships
    , Wed, 27 Aug 2025
  • 2 Division & Former Unified World Champion Juan Francisco Estrada Confirmed for Eighth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Mexican Independence Day Weekend, Saturday September 13, in Las Vegas
    , Wed, 27 Aug 2025
  • THE PAST WEEK IN ACTION 25 AUGUST 2025
    By Eric Armit, , Tue, 26 Aug 2025




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2025 philboxing.com.