Philippines, 22 Feb 2026
  Home >> News

 


BOXERS

CURRENT CHAMPIONS 

FORMER CHAMPIONS   

RATINGS                       

NEWS           

FORUM        

FIGHT GALLERIES        

RING CARD GIRLS        


 
 
News  


Magdaleno rejects Donaire rematch


PhilBoxing.com





WBO superbantamweight champion Jessie Magdaleno has reneged on his promise to give Nonito Donaire, Jr. an immediate rematch and called the Filipino Flash a sore loser in a 360 degree reversal from his display of respect right after winning the title on a disputed decision in Las Vegas last November.

Donaire, 34, said he never expected Magdaleno to turn arrogant so soon after wresting the crown. In a social media rant, Magdaleno said, ?I don?t need to fight you right now, I don?t need anything from you, dude ? I can get better paydays from other great potential fighters ? there are bigger and better matches than you ? you?re old now, everyone sees it.? Yet, during the medical check-ups in the dressing room after their fight, Magdaleno praised Donaire as a ?great champion? and promised an immediate rematch.

Donaire said he met Top Rank president Todd Duboef, Top Rank vice president for business and legal affairs Harrison Whitman and his manager Cameron Dunkin in Las Vegas the other day to discuss plans for the rematch. But Magdaleno later said he wants nothing to do with Donaire.

?I?m training now because I was aiming for the rematch,? Donaire said in an interview from his Las Vegas home. ?Unfortunately, Magdaleno has come up with the excuse that I didn?t have a rematch clause. He was the mandatory challenger so there was no room to negotiate really anything. Instead of fighting me again and making more money in a rematch, he?d rather take an easy fight. He claims he?ll fight someone for more money but when I challenged him to give me a name in the WBO rankings, he evaded the question.?

Donaire said he knew all along Magdaleno would exercise all options to duck a rematch. ?He told me he?d give me a rematch during the medicals,? said Donaire. ?Now, he?s back-pedalling.? A move up to the featherweight division as an alternative isn?t timely, he added. ?I need more time to move to 126,? noted Donaire. ?When I met with Todd, Harrison and Cameron, I was 128 pounds that morning. I need time to build lean muscle mass and not just heavy fat.?

Donaire was recently picked by the WBC to participate in a stepladder elimination series for the vacant 122-pound title relinquished by Hozumi Hasegawa but the process will mean a long wait. The first step is No. 1 Rey Vargas of Mexico will face No. 2 Gavin McDonnell of the UK in Yorkshire on Feb. 25. Then, the winner will stake the crown against the survivor of an eliminator between No. 3 Hugo Ruiz and No. 4 Julio Ceja. The winner moves on to put the title on the line against the survivor of another bout between No. 5 Anselmo Moreno and No. 6 Donaire. ?Top Rank refused to explore the WBC option as it was three fights to the title,? said Donaire.

The other superbantamweight champions whom Donaire could target are IBF titlist Yukinori Oguni of Japan and WBA ruler Nehomar Cermeno of Venezuela. However, Cermeno has signed to defend his crown against Japan?s Shun Kubo in Osaka on April 9. Oguni, 28, beat the Dominican Republic?s previously unbeaten Jonathan Guzman for the IBF title in Kyoto last Dec. 31 and has not set a first defense.

?For whatever his excuse and reason, I went for the rematch especially after he agreed to it after our fight in the medicals,? said Donaire. ?I have constantly tried to create a legacy of my own. Through wins and losses, I have tried to give my fans the best fights but I have to have a willing opponent who doesn?t run from the opportunity to create great fights which are worth watching. Until we find the next opportunity to fight, I want to thank my team, family, friends and fans for supporting me in my endeavors in my boxing career. I give major respect and props to those fighters who are willing to put a title freshly won right back on the line in a rematch for the greatness of boxing. Those like Santa Cruz/Frampton, Pacquiao/Marquez, Marquez/Vazquez and even Bradley/Pacquiao could have walked away with the title and fought easier opponents but they all wanted to prove their greatness.?

Magdaleno lashed out at Donaire, saying, ?I don?t need your respect or anyone else?s, I earned this title and it isn?t going anywhere (and) it stays with Team Magdaleno so stop with the crying, it?s getting old.? He added, ?you should?ve beaten me when you had the chance (and) you shouldn?t have overlooked me.?

Donaire said Magdaleno is scared out of his wits because he knows he only got lucky last November. ?Magdaleno can?t do it again and that?s what he?s running from,? he said. ?That?s what he?s afraid of. As the mandatory, he didn?t agree to any of my demands. That?s why he stood in the medicals in front of everyone, saying he respects me enough for a rematch. He can?t replicate that win. It scares the crap out of him that his own promoters know he?ll decline a rematch.?

Magdaleno, 25, said down the road, he'll face Donaire once more. "No one is scared of you," he told Donaire. "I can replicate a win against you. I know that for sure. I'll fight you when I'm done conquering my other dreams. We will meet again, don't worry. Until then, wait your turn."


Click here to view a list of other articles written by Joaquin Henson.


Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:

  • 2026 USA Boxing Elite High Performance Set to Compete at Strandja 2026 Boxing Tournament in Sofia, Bulgaria
    , Sun, 22 Feb 2026
  • SMEP, SAEP round 6 standoff in PTC WED NEMO 4th D’ Engineers Chess Cup
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Sun, 22 Feb 2026
  • Late Valentine’s gift for Lover Boy
    By Joaquin Henson, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • “Prince” Albert Pagara Heads to Perth, Australia, for WBC Australasia Title Fight
    By Carlos Costa, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • BARRIOS vs GARCIA (FIGHT ANALYSIS)
    By Ralph Rimpell, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • FLOYD MAYWEATHER UNRETIRES
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • WBC Introduces new award "WBC Main Event" world championship Chain & Pendant
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • WOOD-WARRINGTON II OFFICIAL WEIGH-IN RESULTS AND FIGHT NIGHT RUNNING ORDER CONFIRMED FOR SOLD-OUT REMATCH IN NOTTINGHAM
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • "Rompete la Madre" documentary is now in the Mexican theaters
    By Gabriel F. Cordero, , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • A Massive Weekend Ahead for Renowned Trainer Bob Santos
    , Sat, 21 Feb 2026
  • Barrios vs Garcia: Where Art Thou Ryan Garcia?
    By Chris Carlson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Pacman bout details revealed
    By Joaquin Henson, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • IIEE to defend Billiard crown in PTC World 2026, World Champ Magpantay is PSA Awardee
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Wood-Warrington II Press Conference Quotes: Everything that Was Said Ahead of Saturday's Sold-Out Rematch in Nottingham
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Manny Pacquiao Promotions Announces Opponents for Rising Stars Jimuel Pacquiao Jr. and Curmel Moton on Feb. 28 at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Rising Star Promotions Returns to Prudential Center April 10 LIVE ON PROBOX TV
    , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Sante Barley Trilogy Leg 1 on March 29 in Azuela
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • Team Rapid chess tourney goes to Pasay City on March 8 By Marlon Bernardino
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Fri, 20 Feb 2026
  • 3rd Horse Show & competition scheduled on February 21-22
    By Lito delos Reyes, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Robinsons Bacolod Chess Festival set
    By Marlon Bernardino, , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • TRAINING CAMP NOTES: Alex Bray Set for WBA Continental Latin American Title Clash February 20 in Orlando
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • Ryan ‘The Bruiser’ Rozicki Calls out Jai Opetaia
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • BREAKING NEWS: DAZN AND MATCHROOM BOXING SIGN NEW FIVE-YEAR DEAL
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 75 climbers start trekking to Mt. Apo today
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026
  • 4 Division World Champion & Hall of Famer Erik Morales Confirmed for Ninth Annual Box Fan Expo, During Cinco De Mayo Weekend, Saturday May 2, in Las Vegas
    , Thu, 19 Feb 2026




  •  



     
    PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
    Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
    Please send comments to feedback@philboxing.com


    PRIVATE POLICY | LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    developed and maintained by dong secuya
    © 2026 philboxing.com.