Luisito “Earthquake” Espinosa: TAP THE ROPES FOR LUCK
By Emmanuel Rivera, RRT
21 Mar 2014
Filipino prizefighters interestingly tap their heels against the bottom ropes before the round.
Here’s some rhyme and reason for this riveting habit adopted by Pinoy boxing greats.
“It works (Puwede).” ---Manny Pacquiao.
“Eases the nerves.” ---Dodie Boy Penalosa.
“I agree with Kuya Dodie” ---Gerry Penalosa”
“Pumps me up.” ---Nonito Donaire, Jr.”
“You mean kick the ropes?”--- Morris East.
So, who started the trend?
Let’s give credit to the greatest Filipino bantamweight and featherweight champion --- Luisito “Lindol” Espinosa --- the only Filipino boxer, and one of seven international fighters since 1890, to win the bantamweight and featherweight crowns. “Parang talisayin bago sabong (Just like a fighting cock before the derby), “ Espinosa summarized.
Espinosa’s Best performances:
- KO1 Kaokor Galaxy, WBA bantamweight championship (Bangkok, Thailand)
- TKO8 Hurley Snead, defense WBA bantamweight championship (Bangkok, Thailand)
- UD12 Thanomsak Sithboabay, defense WBA bantamweight championship (Bangkok, Thailand)
- KO1 Raul Perez, WBC Featherweight Championship (Tokyo, Japan)
KO6 Carlos Rios, WBC Featherweight Championship (Koronadal, South Cotabato)
- UD 12 Manuel Medina (Tokyo, Japan) and TD8 (Manila Bay, Philippines), WBC Featherweight Championship
- KO4 Alejandro “Cobrita” Gonzalez, WBC Featherweight Championship (Guadalajara, Mexico)
- Athlete of the Year (Philippine Sports Writers Association)
- WBC Featherweight Champion (December 1995- May 1999, 7 defenses)
- WBA Bantamweight Champion (October 1989-October 1991, 2 defenses)
- California Bantamweight Champion (1988)
- WBC Mundo Hispano Champion (February 1993)
Author’s Notes: Happy Birthday to my brother Herminigildo “Jay” Rivera, Jr.
Photo: Luisito Espinosa KO2 Ever Beleno (130 pounds @ San Jose, California. Golden Boy Promotions) Pic: Courtesy of Nelson Carrera 1ofonephoto.com.
Back to Emmanuel Rivera, RRT's Articles Listing
Recent PhilBoxing.com In-House articles:
PhilBoxing.com has been created to support every aspiring
Filipino boxer and the Philippine boxing scene in general.
Please send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org